Those wonderful, long school holidays are upon us and there’s plenty to keep the kids busy in Bendigo. Bendigo was the first city in Australia to be recognised as a UICEF and UNESCO Australian Child Friendly City and it’s no wonder it received that honour with all of the playgrounds, parks and activities this wonderful city has to offer.
Attractions and Tours For The Kids
- Clay Play at Bendigo Pottery: Help your kids unleash their inner artist and pick up some skills yourself at Bendigo Pottery. You’ll get to take home whatever you make and your kids might just discover a new passion.
- Central Deborah Goldmine Underground Tours: Choose from a variety of tours and give your kids a thrilling, educational experience with an underground for a tour of the old mine shafts. You can even go 228m underground in an old miner’s cave if you and the kids want a truly authentic (and scary) experience of what it was like to be a gold miner.
- Discovery Science and Technology Tour: There’s nothing better than combining a bit of fun with an educational experience and that’s what this tour offers. You can learn the secrets of the universe at the planetarium, have a go on the tallest vertical slide in the southern hemisphere and give your kids a head start with the Kaleidoscope exhibition which is designed to teach children under six all the basic principles of maths and science.
- Ironbark Riding Centre: There’s no better way of exploring than on the back of horse. You can take the family on everything from a 1-hour ride to a half-day ride. Your kids will get to spend valuable time in the great outdoors and they’ll get an enormous sense of satisfaction from learning to ride a horse.
Cycling and Walking Trails
It’s important you get the kids active on the school holidays. You don’t want them playing video games for 6 weeks straight! Luckily, there are plenty of trails In Bendigo on which to take the kids on a bike ride or a walk.
- The Bendigo Creek Trail takes you along the creek and past some of Bendigo’s most beautiful and historic attractions. You’ll ride past miner’s cottages, weave through the bush and you’ll end up at Bendigo Pottery meaning you can combine the trip with a visit to Clay Play.
- The Goldfields Track takes you out into the wilderness. You’ll see gorges, rivers and all the natural beauty of the Great Dividing Ranges. Mountain bike riders and bushwalkers share the tracks and there are plenty of circuits for all ages and fitness levels.
Beautiful Outdoor Spots
Bendigo has plenty going for it in terms of places to enjoy outdoor activities, some of the most popular spots include:
- Lake Weeroona: A beautiful lake that is perfect for running, walking or cycling around. There’s a playground as well as BBQ facilities, which means you can pack a lunch. If you can’t be bothered cooking, there’s also a café and plenty of wide-open space for the kids to run around in. You can even catch a vintage-tram from the city-centre for a truly authentic, Bendigo experience. Nearby Lake Eppalock is perfect for watersports enthusiasts.
- Bendigo Botanic Gardens: A truly beautiful and tranquil spot right in the heart of the city. It’s the perfect setting for a bit of cricket or kicking the ball around. The kids can cut loops of the area while you sit back and graze on a picnic lunch and there are always plenty of activities on.
Beat The Weather
Bendigo can get pretty hot over the summer so you may be looking for something to keep the kids busy that will keep them out of the heat. Luckily, Bendigo has two fantastic indoor play centres that will give them the exercise they need and keep them out of the sun:
The Zone, Parky’s Wonderland and Mulligrubs Play Centre all have enough slides, swings and ropes to keep the kids entertained for hours and get that all important exercise without being out in the sun. It’s also a great time for you to relax, grab a coffee and read a book while the kids have the time of their lives.
That’s just a taste of what Bendigo has to offer. If you’re stuck for things to do with the kids over the school holidays Bendigo is your number one destination. You don’t become an internationally recognised child-friendly city for nothing.
And, you can stay at Allara Motor Lodge Bendigo and be mere minutes away from everything we’ve listed above. Book today, your kids will love you for it.